To Share a Document
You can share in four distinct ways, all from the Share button on the top right of a document:
- Add contributors directly (Add by Name or Email > type their name or insert the email address)
- Add the document to a shared folder (Share > Move To a Shared Folder)
- Enable link-sharing for direct URL access (Get Shareable Link)
- The default will be that anyone you send the link to can view & edit the document.
- You can also choose to allow or block access for users outside of your company (Enterprise feature only).
- Share internally (in your Quip site) and externally (contacts outside of your Quip site).
Make sure to take a look at this great video for some quick tips around sharing in Quip!
Click Add by Name or Email to add contributors directly
Start typing the name of the contact you wish to add to the folder or document or select the contacts with your mouse. You can share with multiple people at the same time.
You can also add email addresses for people that are not on Quip. Type them in to the "Add people to this document" field and hit enter. You will see their email address get added to the sharing list. You can also invite someone by text message using their phone number.
The people you've shared the document with will receive a notification.
Click Move to a Shared folder, granting access to all members of that folder
Choose the destination folder, click Move to a Different Folder. A confirmation dialogue will confirm how many users will gain access to the document if you complete the move. Click Move on the following confirmation dialogue to complete the move.
Click Get Shareable Link to enable link-sharing and Customize Permission Settings
The default will be that anyone you send the link to can view & edit the document
In addition, there a several more ways to customize how you want to share a Quip document:
- View-only but show the conversation
- View-only but show Diffs for the document
- View-only but allow new messages
- View-only but allow comments
Make sure to choose whether or not to allow or block access for users outside of your company
Quip allows you to share with external members of your Quip site just as easily as you can with your fellow Quip site members. To share with an external member, simply add their email to a document or folder by selecting Share > Add by Name or Email.
If you are trying to add a colleague without a Quip account to a document, you have a few options:
1. You can send a view-only shareable link. This will link be accessible to anyone, even if they do not have a Quip account. If they want to edit or chat on the document, they will need to create a Quip account of their own.
2. If you enter a colleague's email under Share > Add by Name or Email but this colleague does not have a Quip account, don't worry! Quip will send these users an invitation to join Quip. By following our quick setup process, these colleagues will be able to collaborate on this document or folder in less than ten minutes.
Note: once you have added an external member to one of your Quip documents or folders, you will see a red "external" tag added to the right of the document or folder title.
Types of Folders
To review your current folder structure, select Folders in your Quip sidebar. You will see three distinct folder types:
1. Group Folders
- Group folders can only be created and managed by the Quip administrator.
- Most companies will create a Group Folder for each individual team or department (i.e. Marketing, Support, Engineering).
2. Shared Folders
- Shared folders can be created and managed by anyone in Quip.
- Shared folders are simply a collection of documents or sub-folders shared with at least one other person.
- You can create a Shared Folder by selecting the new item icon in the top right of your Quip window then choosing New Folder. You will need to add new members to a shared folder manually. This allows you to share content with a select group, rather than an entire Quip site.
3. Private Folders
- Each person in Quip has a private folder. The private folder is your dedicated space within Quip. Any documents you create there will be private to you until you explicitly add individuals to the document.
- Unlike other folders in Quip, you are the only member of this folder.
- Note: If you add members to a Quip document that is located in your Private Folder, this document will remain in your private folder and it will still be accessible by these members.