Backing up our customer data is critical to our success as a product. Quip uses industry-standard best practices to back up our customer data.
- Live Data
- All persistent customer data is stored on Multi-AZ Amazon RDS instances.
- Amazon maintains RDS data on EBS volumes for each instance.
- Due to the Multi-AZ deployment, Amazon maintains a replica of all customer data in an additional Availability Zone.
- In addition, Quip maintains its own complete replica of all serving databases (master-slave) in another, additional region.
- Incremental Backups
- Quip maintains constant, point-in-time incremental backups of all live databases.
- These allow us to jump to any point in time over the past day, in the case of a partial outage.
- Quip maintains daily snapshots of all production databases, which include all customer data.
- Snapshots are stored outside of RDS on Amazon S3 file storage and replicated across the world.
- Snapshots are sufficient to bring back the entire site in the case of a catastrophic failure.
- We retain at least 2 weeks of full system backups.
Review of Procedures
All backup policies will be reviewed and updated by the Head of Engineering.