You can import numerous file types—such as .doc, docx, .pptx, .rft, .txt and .xls—into Quip. You can also import your documents from another cloud service like Google Drive, Dropbox, or Evernote.
Either way, you'll start from the compose menu in the the top right. Click the new document icon, then select "Upload or Import"
A window will pop up, and from that window you can either import files from your computer, or from another cloud service.
Importing files from your computer
Drag the file you want to import onto the dotted-line drop zone that says "Drag Files Here." Alternatively, click within that area to browse for files. Either way, as soon as you drop or choose your file, it'll be imported as a new Quip document.
Tip: You can also drag-and-drop files from your desktop without opening the "Upload or Import" window first.
- Select a file from your computer (.doc, .docx, .rtf, .txt)
- Drag it onto the Quip desktop or into a Quip folder
- It will automatically be converted into a Quip document, and placed in your Private folder.
Importing from other services
From the "Upload or Import" window, select the service you want to import from. You may be asked to log in to your account on that service, if you haven't done so already.
You can also similarly upload files from other services from a both iOS and Android devices. Currently, Quip supports mobile importing from Dropbox, Google Drive, Evernote and Box.
Imported documents will be moved to a private folder.
Import documents from e-mail in iOS
- Open the mail app on your phone or tablet
- Tap on the attachment to preview the document
- Tap on the share icon at the top right of the screen
- Select “Open in Quip” to import