This guide shares tips from some of the most successful companies who run their business on Quip.
Ready to take your Quip experience to the next level? This guide is here to help.
- This helps identify who is currently viewing a document, and it enhances collaboration by making the Quip experience more social.
2. Chat in Quip
- If you want to get someone's immediate attention you can @TheirName anywhere in Quip which will trigger your message to appear in the notification bell of the person you've @ mentioned.
- If you have an important message you want everyone to be aware of, @Everyone will put your note in the notification bell of everyone on the document or chat.
- There are 3 ways to chat in Quip:
|1. Document Conversation Threads||2. Chat Rooms||3. Direct Messages|
A conversation thread is built into every Quip document and spreadsheet.
This allows you to talk about the document in a holistic ways in context with all the edits and changes that have occurred within the document.
It is best practice to have a chat room for each team, project, for company announcements, and for internal communications.
Many companies have chat rooms set up for each team to talk about anything relevant to that group. Chat rooms are a great way to make announcements and to have a free forum Q&A discussion where all voices can be shared and heard.
Consider making a Kudos 👏 Chat Room and a Good News Chat Room so your team can celebrate one another!
Send a direct message to someone you want to have a one-off conversation with.
You can send a 1:1 message to an individual or to a small group of people.
3. Quip Live Apps
- Use Quip Live Apps to customize documents for your workflow and standard operating procedures.
- Use the @ Key to add a Live App anywhere in a document.
- Check out the Live Apps Explorer to get ideas for how to mix and match Live Apps on a document.
4. Integrate with Other Tools
- Use Salesforce?
If you're on the Quip for Salesforce plan, you can pull Live Salesforce Data into Quip, and you can attach Quip documents into Salesforce.
Note that initial setup by your Salesforce & Quip Admin is required for the integrations to work.
- Want to build your own Live App or process automation?
If you're on Quip's Enterprise Edition you can build your own Live Apps and process automations using the Quip API.
- Looking for other integrations?
More 3rd party integrations are available on the Salesforce AppExchange.
5. Column Layout For Text & Images
- Add up to three columns and adjust the width of each column to make a document look the way you want.
- How to do it: Drag the blue icon at the end of any line of text or at the top of any picture. Adjust the blue column lines that appear to change the width of the column.
Note that columns are currently only available for text and images.
- Add spreadsheets to your documents using @spreadsheet. Use a spreadsheet to do budget planning, head count, sales updates, project management, and so much more!
- Quip spreadsheets support over 400 spreadsheet functions. Check them all out!
- Here's a real-life example of spreadsheet data called out so it's easy to see within the document:
→ See how we can calculate that we're $137 under-budget
by typing =sum(then click the cells and functions you want)
→ We can also count that a total of 4 teams attended
by typing =CountA(then selecting the cells below we want to count up)
→ By typing =CountIf(the parameters we want) we can count that 2 teams were At Budget
- Stay organized and always up to date by setting up your folders and notifications.
- Want to limit access of certain documents to specific people?
Create a Restricted Folder for smaller sub-groups.
- Curious about how Notifications work in Quip?
Learn where notifications happen & what you get notified about
8. Anchor Links
- Send people directly to the section of a document you want them to go to by using anchor links.
- Right click on any text > click “Copy Anchor Link” > paste the anchor link wherever you want it to be referenced.
9. Show Outline
- Enabling the outline view is a great way to navigate a long document so that people can easily jump from section to section.
- Click the Insert button on the top navigation bar on your page. Type "outline" to select the outline function.
- The Outline is populated based on the different Quip Header Styles in your document.
- The Quip Outline can not currently be customized, and it does not show up on mobile.
- If you want to make an outline with only the Quick Links you want (or an outline that works great on Mobile), try using anchor links at the top of your document instead of Quip's Pre-Populated Outline.
10. Document history
- To see the whole history of a document, from the first words to the final edit, just go to the Document menu and select “Document History.”
- On the left, you'll see timestamps for every previous version of the document, sorted by when they were edited and who made those edits. Click on any of them to see what the document looked like at that time.
- If you want to recover any of that old material, you have a couple of ways to do it:
- Copy ’n’ paste. If you want to bring specific deleted passages back from the grave, you're free to manually copy and paste them from the old versions into your current version.
- A full restore. If you want to bring back an old version of a document in its entirely, click the Restore button.
- Great to use for your onboarding materials, documentation, templates, putting drafts on hold, or whenever you need to limit your teammates from freely editing your documents.
- Click the Top Left Document Button > Advanced > Lock Edits.
- While anyone on the document is able to turn off the lock edits, the changes of this happening are tracked in the document’s conversation pane and can always be reverted.
12. Tasks Drawer
- Check out Quip's Support Article on how to best use your Quip Task Drawer
- Quip's Task Drawer contains:
- Every checklist item you're @mentioned in, from every Quip doc you have access to.
- Any checklist items from documents you've linked to your task drawer (more on that in a sec).
13. Have Fun with /Giphy, /Sayas, Emojis, & 👍
- On a new line of chat type /giphy then a word or phrase - beware, it's a roulette from giphy.com!
- On a new line of chat type /sayas @YourTeamMembersName then some text.
- Type : then any word to search for an emoji.
- You can use in docs, doc titles, spreadsheet cells, folder titles, chat, everywhere... go for it! 🌷 🚀 ⭐️ 🍀 👍
- Emojis can be used anywhere in Quip - in chat, spreadsheets, calendars, and other Live Apps.
USE THE 👍 BUTTON
- Everyone likes a little validation to know that the work they are doing is appreciated and that people are seeing their work. If you appreciate something, let others know with a simple 👍.
14. Quip Slides
- Check out all you can do with Quip Slides with this Quip Support Article.
- Awesome Slide Functionality Unique to Quip:
15. Templates in Quip
If you are on Quip's Enterprise Edition,
best practice is to work with your Salesforce/Quip Admin to create Quip Templates with the Native “Quip Document” Lightning Component in Salesforce
(available with the Spring '19 release).
Do you want to provide your team with a quick starting point to get value out of Quip right away?
Not ready to use the Native “Quip Document” Lightning Component in Salesforce yet?
Look no further:
What They Are
- Blueprints of documents that other users can easily copy, edit and fill in
- They can contain live apps
- They can contain placeholder data
What they aren't
- Locked down documents where only parts of the document are editable... no such thing in Quip! Everything can be edited in Quip once you create a document off the back of a template
- Role-based documents: everyone with edit access to a document can edit anything in the document!
Let's take a look at two types of templates available in Quip:
1. Global Templates
These are available to every user in the organization and appear inside the Apps & Templates tab at the top left, together with every other official Quip template!
Because these templates are available to your entire company, we see a lot of value in having conversations with customers to understand how they can re-think their current processes and workflows and turn them into an awesome template for everyone to use.
As a result, global templates need to be added by a Quip Specialist or Quip CSM, this is not something that can be done by the customer in the UI.
Please reach out to your Quip Specialist to be able to do so.
2. Local Templates
These are templates that anyone in the company can create and share with the team. They don't appear in the Apps tab but are available for customers to create and use themselves without having to reach out to their CSM or the Support team.
Here's how to create yours → Note that you must be in the web browser to be do this!
- Create your Master Template document and share with whoever you want to be able to collaborate on the template master copy
- Pro Tip: if you would like to add placeholders in the document, you can either highlight it in a different color, or you can
- type the placeholder text > make the text italics > select the text > press Cmd - Opt - Shift - P twice. This will turn the line of text into a placeholder!
- Here's an example: My example placeholder
- Optional: When you're done creating your Master Template Doc, click on the Document menu → Advanced → Lock Edits
- While anyone who is shared on the Master Template Doc can unlock the edit and make changes, this symbolizes the Master Template Doc is in a “complete” state. However, with Quip docs you can always iterate without needing to make a new copy
- Now click on the Share button at the top → Get Link, and make it a View Only link.
- Here's where the magic happens: Copy the document link and add ?template=1 at the end of the URL. For example, https://quip.com/04CiAHg2CdWG becomes https://quip.com/04CiAHg2CdWG?template=1
- Paste this new url in a Quip doc with the ?template=1 syntax at the end link, and you're done!
- Now you can give this link to anyone, and they'll get a prompt every time they open it to use the template and create a copy!
- Don't share the Master Template Doc itself with users by adding them to the document: this will have them edit the Master Template Doc rather that use it!
Pro Tip: The best way to share templates is to create a “CompanyTemplates” document where you can put all the links of your templates and share that with your team. Consider making your own Templates Library for your team modeled after the 📚 Quip Templates Library
Note: This will work on the web and desktop! From mobile, the link becomes a normal document link and the user will need to click on the Document menu → Copy Document to be able to use it.
Here's what the template looks like: Top 15 Pro Tips: Quick Guide